Aug. 2, 2019
Contact: Marty Niland, email@example.com, 703-516-0600
C2ES publishes comparison of carbon-pricing measures in Congress
WASHINGTON – The introduction of six carbon tax and cap-and-dividend proposals in the 116th Congress reflects growing bipartisan interest in climate change on Capitol Hill.
The Center for Climate and Energy Solutions (C2ES) has prepared a detailed comparison of the six measures, Carbon Pricing Proposals in the 116th Congress.
Five of the proposals would establish a carbon tax (or “carbon fee”), and one would establish a cap-and-dividend program (a cap-and-trade program that rebates program revenues to consumers).
The proposals differ on many elements including their targets, starting price levels and how the revenues would be used. The C2ES brief includes figures comparing the respective tax rates and the level of emission reductions achieved under the different proposals.
The six proposals are:
- The Energy Innovation and Carbon Dividend Act of 2019 (H.R.763) introduced by Reps. Ted Deutch (D-Fla.) and Francis Rooney (R-Fla.) on Jan. 24, 2019
- The Healthy Climate and Family Security Act of 2019 (S.940 and H.R.1960) introduced by Sen. Chris Van Hollen (D-Md.) and Rep. Don Beyer (D-Va.) on March 28, 2019
- The American Opportunity Carbon Fee Act of 2019 (S.1128) reintroduced by Sens. Sheldon Whitehouse (D-R.I.), Brian Schatz (D-Hawaii), Martin Heinrich (D-N.M.), and Kirsten Gillibrand (D-N.Y.) on April 10, 2019
- The Climate Action Rebate Act of 2019 (S.2284 and H.R.4051) introduced by Sens. Chris Coons (D-Del.) and Dianne Feinstein (D-Calif.), and Rep. Jimmy Panetta (D-Calif.) on July 25, 2019
- The Stemming Warming and Augmenting Pay Act of 2019 (H.R. 4058) introduced by Reps. Francis Rooney (R-Fla.) and Dan Lipinski (D-Ill.) on July 25, 2019
- The Raise Wages, Cut Carbon Act of 2019 Act of 2019 (H.R.3966) introduced by Reps. Dan Lipinski (D-Ill.) and Francis Rooney (R-Fla.) on July 25, 2019
Read more on the C2ES comparison of the measures here.
About C2ES: The Center for Climate and Energy Solutions (C2ES) is an independent, nonpartisan, nonprofit organization working to forge practical solutions to climate change. Our mission is to advance strong policy and action to reduce greenhouse gas emissions, promote clean energy, and strengthen resilience to climate impacts. Learn more at www.c2es.org.