Workshop: Building Business Resilience to Extreme Weather and Climate Change
November 14, 2012, Washington, D.C.
This workshop fostered shared learning about the economic and business risks that companies and society are already beginning to face from a changing climate. The workshop convened business leaders from a wide range of industry sectors along with technical experts in related scientific and risk management fields. Participants explored early risk management approaches and key business drivers, and barriers, to understanding risks and taking action.
Speakers and Presentations
Links will open slides for each presentation. Click here for speaker bios.
- Welcome & Project Overview: Janet Peace, Vice President, Markets & Business Strategy, C2ES
- Climate Change & Extreme Weather: Derek “Deke” Arndt, Chief, Climate Monitoring Branch, National Climatic Data Center, NOAA
- Climate Risk Assessment & Analysis: Emily Therese Cloyd, Public Participation and Engagement Coordinator, National Climate Assessment, U.S. Global Change Research Program
Emerging Business Approaches:
- Brent Dorsey, Director, Corporate Environmental Programs, Entergy
- Jan Dell, Vice President, Energy, Water and Facilities Division, CH2M HILL
- Harold Reed, Innovation & Environmental Stewardship, American Water
- Jay Bruns, Vice President for Public Policy, The Hartford (Slides 4-9 are courtesy of the Insurance Information Institute)
- Jeff Hopkins, Policy Adviser, Economics & Environment , Rio Tinto