This map contains state laws and regulations that affect plug-in electric passenger vehicles (PEVs). The policies include the following:
- Fleet Vehicle Acquisition Requirements: Mandates for state or other types of fleets to acquire PEVs. This primarily affects state fleets.
- Preferred Roadway and Parking Access: State requirements to provide access to High Occupancy Vehicle (HOV) lanes or designated parking for PEVs.
- Financial Incentives: Tax credits, rebates, grants, inspection exemption, and vehicle-to-grid energy credits.
- Regulation Exemptions: Emissions inspection exemptions and EV supply equipment regulation exemptions.
- Sales Mandate: Production requirements for ZEVs.
- Charging Infrastructure: State requirements to provide EV charging infrastructure.
Note that the policies highlighted here target plug-in electric passenger vehicles specifically. Thus, some policies by states apply to all vehicles and alternative fuels, including plug-in electric passenger vehicles, but are not included here. Related state maps on our site include our biofuels state map.
Source: U.S. Department of Energy Alternative Fuels and Advanced Vehicles Data Center. The website contains a database for federal and state incentives and laws. Here is a link to the search query for these results.